QuTS hero 4.5.0 (embedded Linux)
|Supported Client Operating Systems|
- Apple Mac OS 10.10 or later
- Ubuntu 14.04 , CentOS 7, RHEL 6.6, SUSE 12 or later Linux
- IBM AIX 7, Solaris 10 or later UNIX
- Microsoft Windows 7, 8, and 10*
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2 and 2016, 2019
* Microsoft has identified compatibility Thunderbolt driver issue with some Windows 10 versions.
- Apple Safari 7 or later
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
Chinese (traditional and simplified), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, and Turkish
|Supported File Systems|
- Internal hard drive (ZFS)
- External hard drive (EXT3, EXT4, NTFS, FAT32, HFS+, and exFAT)
Note: To use exFat you must purchase an exFAT driver license from License Center.
|Network & Virtual Switch|
- TCP/IP: Dual stack (IPv4 and IPv6)
- Jumbo frame
- DHCP server and client
- USB Wi-Fi adapter
Note: This feature does not support ad hoc networks because of security considerations.
- Static Route
- NCSI (Network Connectivity Status Indicator)
- DDNS settings (Customize & Multiple Service )
- Port trunking (Link aggregation, supports 7 modes)
- Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Spanning Tree Protocol (STP)
- Thunderbolt to Ethernet converter (T2E)
- Software-Defined Switch mode
- HTTP/HTTPS Connections (TLS 1.0/1.1/1.2)
- Supports WebDAV Connection
- Supports Virtual Host (Max: 32)
- Importable SSL Certificate
- Network access protection with auto-blocking (SSH, Telnet, HTTP(S), FTP, CIFS/SMB, and AFP)
- Host access control for shared folders (CIFS/SMB)
- AES 256-bit folder-based encryptions which are validated by FIPS 140-2 CAVP (Cryptographic Algorithm Validation Program)
- 256-bit external drive encryption (AES)
- Importing of SSL certificates from Let’s Encrypt
- Instant alerts through email, SMS, push service, audio, and LCD panel
Note: Voice alerts are only available for models that have built-in speakers.
- 2-step verification
- RAID Hot Spare and Global Hot Spare
- RAID Rebuild Speed Customization
- Pool Over-provisioning
- SSD TRIM
- Disk auto S.M.A.R.T. data migration
- Disk bad block scan and S.M.A.R.T test.
- Disk bad block recovery
- Disk secure data erase
- Ironwolf Health Management
- Checksum for end-to-end data integrity
- Silence error detection and self-healing
- Pool scrub for data verification
- Share folder quota management
- Online share expansion
- Share type conversion
- Share shrink
- Inline deduplication for shared folder/LUN
- Inline compression for shared folder/LUN
- WORM (Write Once Read Many) for shared folder
- Storage expansion using QNAP expansion units
- JBOD enclosure roaming
- SSD read-only cache
- SSD read cache and write log
- Supported RAID types
- Storage pool with RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, 60, Triple Parity, Triple Mirror
Storage space utilization
- The maximum single storage pool size is 1 PB
- The maximum storage pool number is 128
- The maximum single shared folder/ LUN capacity is 1 PB
- The maximum shared folder number is 256
Note: The maximum number of snapshots varies depending on installed memory.
- Share and LUN snapshots
- Snapshot Dashboard
- Snapshot Manager
- Snapshot local restore and revert
- Snapshot Clone
- Snapshot Replica and Snapshot Vault
- Snapshot remote restore and revert
- Unified Snapshot Directory
- Support for Windows Previous Versions (CIFS/SMB)
- Snapshot Agent for Microsoft Windows and VMware vSphere
- The maximum number of system snapshots is 65,536
- The minimum Snapshot Interval is 1 min
|iSCSI (IP SAN)|
- iSCSI targets with multiple LUNs per target
Note: The maximum number of targets+LUN is 256.
- LUN mapping (LUN can be moved between iSCSI and FC if supported)
- LUN masking
- Online LUN capacity expansion
- SPC-3 persistent reservation
- MPIO & MC/S
- iSCSI Extensions for RDMA (iSER) with VMware ESXi
Note: This feature requires an Intel or AMD-based NAS with a PCIe slot, and a compatible NVIDIA Mellanox network card.
- iSCSI LUN backup, one-time snapshot, and restoration
- Virtual disks using iSCSI initiator
Note: The maximum number of virtual disks is eight.
- Stack chaining master
|Fibre Channel (FC SAN)|
- Support of Fibre Channel protocol (Optional Fibre Channel adapter required, please consult the compatibility list)
- LUN Mapping (LUN can be moved between iSCSI and FC)
- LUN Masking
- WWPN Aliases Import/Export
- FC Port Group
- FC Port Binding
- Multipath IO (MPIO)
- Online LUN capacity expansion
- LUN snapshot
- LUN snapshot replication and clone
- VJBOD Cloud is a block-based storage gateway solution that allows you to backup the storage space (LUN/Folder) on your local NAS using cloud space from cloud services providers such as Amazon, Azure, and Google Cloud.
- VJBOD Cloud now supports one-to-one pairing between cloud folders/LUNs and local stored spaces.
- VJBOD Cloud now supports Amazon S3 Azure, BackBlaze, HuaWei Cloud, Alibaba Cloud, HKT, Google Cloud, OpenStack, RackSpace, Wasabi cloud, IBM cloud object storage service.
- VJBOD Cloud now supports local stored mode, which means that data can be stored on the NAS and the data can be backed up to the cloud.
- VJBOD Cloud now supports 20 recovery points for recovering folders/LUNs.
- Added support for sending notifications via SMS center (SMSC) or providers, including Nexmo, Twilio, and Clickatell.
- Added Outlook as an SMTP service option.
- Added support for sending notifications via instant messaging applications, including Skype and Facebook Messenger.
- Added support for Overview and History in Notification Center.
- Added support for 23 languages for notification messages.
- Added support for creating custom notification rules to specify notification criteria, including application categories, severity levels, and keywords.
- Delivery method and message recipient settings are now more flexible.
- Added support for creating multiple notification rules at the same time.
- Added support for sending notifications for a single system event.
- Wake-on-LAN (WoL)
- IPMI Management Module [x89]
- Scheduled power on and off
- Automatic power on after power recovery (x86)
- USB and network UPS support with SNMP management
|Access Rights Management|
- Multiple user creation
- User data importing and exporting
- User quota management
- Local user access control (AFP, CIFS/SMB, FTP, and WebDAV)
- Application access control (File Station, Music Station, Photo Station, and Video Station)
- Subfolder permissions (AFP, CIFS/SMB, FTP, and File Station)
- Microsoft Active Directory (AD) and domain controller support
- LDAP server and client
- Domain user login (AFP, CIFS/SMB, FTP, and File Station)
- The maximum domain user/group is 200000
- Free host name registration (DDNS)
- Optional myQNAPcloud SSL certificates (DDNS)
- Auto router configuration using UPnP
- Web-based file manager with HTTPS 2048-bit encryption
- myQNAPcloud Link for remote access without complex router setup
- File syncing across multiple devices with SSL secure connection
- Selective synchronization for specific folders or subfolders
- Team folders as file center for better collaboration
- File sharing using email links
- Policy settings for conflicting files and file type filter
- Version control for a maximum of 64 versions
- Unified privilege and configuration management
- Central configuration mode
- Remote erase and restore
- Qsync client supported platforms: Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, Android and iOS
- Monitoring of NAS system resources such as CPU, memory and network
- Monitoring of NAS storage resources such as RAID, and disk activity
- Monitoring of NAS application resource use
- Creation of extra swap space when SSDs are installed
- Reporting of issues to the QNAP support team, with automatic collection of system information
- Remote connection between QNAP support engineers and NAS for issue resolution (with user permission)
|Web Desktop Administration|
- Multi-window, multitasking system management
- Smart toolbar and dashboard for system status display
- SNMP versions 2 and 3
- Resource monitor
- Comprehensive logs (events and connections)
- Syslog server and client
- Backup and restoration of system settings
- Qmanager: Mobile application for remote system monitoring and management
- Network recycle bin
- Recover files deleted using AFP, CIFS/SMB, and File Station
- Automatic cleanup
- File type filter
- File sharing across Windows, Mac, and Linux/UNIX
- Microsoft networking (CIFS/SMB)
- Apple networking (AFP)
- NFS version 3/4 services
- Windows ACL for file sharing protocols
- Shared folder aggregation (CIFS/SMB)
- FTP, SFTP and TFTP protocols
- FTP over SSL/TLS (explicit FTPS)
- FXP support
- Restore QDFF files and folders with HBS 3
- Document viewing using Office Online, Google Docs, and Chrome extension
- Microsoft Office file editing using Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- ISO file mounting (maximum: 256 ISO files)
- Mount smart phones as external storage
- Read access for compatible optical disc drives
- Read access for compatible smartphones (MTP)
- Download and upload link sharing
- File dragging and dropping (Chrome and Firefox)
- Photos, video, and music preview and playback with hardware-accelerated transcoding
- File compression (ZIP and 7z)
- Download link creation and sending for publicly shared files, with expiration date and password protection
- Subtitle display (SRT and UTF-8)
- Video seeking during on-the-fly transcoding video playback
- Slideshow playback in media viewer
- Convert image files to pdf by “Image2PDF” integration
- Qfile: Mobile app for file browsing and management
- Integrate with HybridMount which supports File Cloud Gateway and File Station Mount mode. File Station Mount mode supports:
- Cloud drive mounting for Google Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Microsoft OneDrive for Business, HiDrive, Amazon Cloud Drive, Yandex Disk and Box
- Remote shared folder mounting (CIFS/SMB, FTP, and WebDAV)
- Auto filing
- Recipe function
- Archiving through iSCSI, USB, DVD and remote NAS
- Advanced settings
- Source File Filters
- File Editing
- File deletion
- Data integrity check
- File conflict policy
|HBS (Hybrid Backup Sync)|
- Cloud storage backup to Amazon Glacier, Amazon S3, Azure Storage, Google Cloud Storage, HKT Object Storage, OpenStack Swift, WebDAV
- Cloud storage syncing with Alibaba Cloud, Amazon Drive, Amazon S3, BackBlaze B2, Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, HiDrive, hubiC, OneDrive, OneDrive For Business, ShareFile, Yandex Disk
- RTRR server & client with bandwidth control
- Rsync server with download bandwidth control
- Remote server syncing (CIFS/SMB, FTP, Rsync, and RTRR)
- Scheduled backup to local and remote storage spaces
- Backup versioning
- Encryption, compression, and file filters
- Centralized management for backup, restoration, and sync jobs
- Support for Apple Time Machine
- Data backup to multiple external storage devices
- Desktop backup with QNAP NetBak Replicator for Windows
- Support for the following third-party backup software: Veeam Backup & Replication, Acronis True Image, Arcserve Backup, Retrospect, Nakivo Backup & Replication, and Veritas Backup Exec
- The maximum number of backup job is 400
- Integrating indexing, transcoding, thumbnail generation, and content management.
- New content management design, configuring content sources for multimedia applications.
- View the status of multimedia apps and services all on the same screen.
- Video transcoding (240p, 360p, 480p, 720p and 1080p resolution)
- Video2Audio transcoding
- Automatic video transcoding for watched folders
- Hardware-accelerated transcoding
- Embed subtitles into videos for background transcoding
- Browse photos in timeline view or folder view.
- Virtual albums and smart albums.
- AI-assisted photo management, classifying people, things, places, etc.
- Music playing and sharing through web browsers
- Music streaming to multiple devices
- Changing of album covers through Google search or by uploading photos
- Internet radio (MP3)
- Eight music alarms
- Switching between spotlight mode and manage mode
- Advanced search
- Scrolling lyrics
- Qmusic: Mobile application for music streaming and management
- Video organization by thumbnail, list, timeline, or folder
- Virtual and smart collections
- Video tagging with text, colors, and ratings
- Video link sharing through social media and email
- Movie information and poster display from Internet sources or user-uploaded files
- Subtitle display (SRT, ASS, SSA)
- Subtitle search and downloading
- Subtitle file importing
- Subtitle display style adjustment
- Playback speed adjustment
- Direct video streaming for certain file formats
- Facebook login
- Advanced folder permissions
- Support for LDAP users
- Video uploading to YouTube and Youku
- Multi-zone video display
- Video-seeking support for video playback during on-the-fly transcoding
- Qvideo: Mobile application for online video browsing and management
- Virtual machine creation (Windows, Linux, Unix, and Android)
- Virtual machine importing, exporting, cloning, snapshot capturing, backup, and restoration
- Console display using HDMI output (QVM)
- HTML5-based shared remote console
- Various networking modes using virtual switches
- GPU pass-through using additional discrete cards
- Support for LXC and Docker
- Application downloading from the built-in Docker Hub Registry
- One-click installation
- Container importing and exporting
- Console mode
Three networking modes ( Note: Docker containers support Bridge, NAT, and Host mode. Linux containers (LXC) support only NAT.)
- Auto-start containers
- Docker certificate downloading
- Private registry addition
- Application repository for switching to any repository on GitHub.com
- Full-text search
- Data distribution using a bar chart
- Previews for photos, music, videos, PDFs, Gmail, and others
- Advanced search operators and search scope
- Customized search filters with included or excluded conditions
- Related files suggestion in Viewer
- Chrome, Firefox and Safari extension
- Support utility and Mobile apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android.
- VPN server
- Secure remote access with PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN, QBelt(QNAP proprietary) protocol.
- Support for a maximum of 100 clients.
- Support public/ NAS default/ manually DNS server.
- Support manually assign/auto detect/none outgoing network interface.
- Support privilege settings for domain/Local users.
- Support PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN, QBelt (QNAP proprietary) protocol.
- Support using VPN as a NAS default gateway.
- Support connection log check.
- Support for DLNA/UPnP TVs and players such as PlayStation 4 and Xbox One
- Support for CUE indexing file for APE and FLAC
|Q’center (NAS CMS)|
- Monitoring of multiple NAS devices
- Utilization history reports
- Unified configuration management
- Monitoring of NAS devices behind NAT routers with Connect to Q’center
Note: The application is available in the App Center and in virtual appliance marketplaces (VMware vSphere ESXi and Microsoft Hyper-V).
- QNAP NAS location on the same local network
- NAS shared folder mounting
- Basic setting configuration (firmware, SMTP server, and network settings)
- Direct connection with USB QuickAccess and Thunderbolt (specific models only)
- Storage Plug & Connect (Windows only)
Media upload (Windows only)
- Creation and mapping of NAS shared folders
- Creation of and connection to iSCSI targets and LUNs
- Media file upload to the NAS
- Automatic creation of thumbnails or transcoding of videos using the computer
- Official and community software add-ons
- Automatic updates and notifications for new versions
- Repository for imported third-party content
- User-specified pool for storing applications
- Video, photo and music streaming to Chromecast using the following:
- NAS applications: File Station, Music Station, Photo Station, and Video Station
- Mobile applications: Qfile, Qmusic, Qphoto, and Qvideo
Note: You must install the Media Streaming add-on from App Center.
- PC-less downloads (BitTorrent, FlashGet, FTP/FTPS, HTTP/HTTPS, QQDL, and Thunder)
Note: The application supports a maximum of 500 tasks.
The maximum number of concurrent downloads for Intel and AMD x86-based NAS devices is 90 (30 BT/PT, 30 HTTP, 30 FTP)
- BitTorrent: Support for search, magnet links, private trackers, and proxy
- Scheduled download and bandwidth control
- RSS subscription and download (broadcatching)
- Support for add-ons that extend download functionality
- Qget: Mobile application for download browsing and management
|Notes Station 3|
- Insert Evernote Notes in Notes Station 3
- Enable Embedding YouTube video into Notes
- Table creation using the insert table editor
|HD (HybridDesk) Station|
- Photo, video, and music playback on TV through HDMI
- Support for Chrome and Firefox
- Support for international keyboards and mouse input
- User login permissions
Note: The decoding capability of the CPU and graphics card may affect playback of some video files.
|Ubuntu Linux Station|
- Usage of the NAS as a Linux-based computer
- Support for Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu Kylin 16.04
- Application downloading and usage from the Ubuntu Software Center
- Remote desktop for remote monitoring and accessing of Ubuntu
- One-way scheduled sync of contacts from multiple Google accounts
- Contact importing from CSV or vCard 3.0 files
- Contact exporting to CSV or vCard 3.0 files
- Duplicate contact searching and merging
- Contact management: Groups, favorites, lock, search, delete and restore
- Support for Android and iOS
- Daily task automation
- Social media data archiving
- File synchronization between the NAS and various cloud services
- System event notifications on Line, Skype, Gmail, and mobile phones
- Music playback on Music Station using Amazon Echo voice commands
- Usage of motion detection sensors as trigger for camera recording on Surveillance Station
- Trigger based file synchronization between the NAS and various cloud storage services
- View miixes made using the Qmiix web portal that include triggers and actions involving QNAP apps.
- Create miixes for web-based and NAS-related apps.
- Create miixes on the Qmiix web portal that include File Station, a QNAP app
- System event notifications to Line, Skype, Gmail, and mobile phones
- Multiple Security Policies (Basic/Intermediate/Advanced/Custom).
- Checks NAS settings for security weaknesses.
- Integrates with existing anti-virus services.
- Integrates with existing anti-malware services.
- Integrates with the Security Advisory service.
Detects and removes malware from your QNAP NAS.
Note: To ensure the security of your NAS, update this app when new versions become available.
- Designs and specifications are subject to change without notice.
- Some features may vary by model.
- The system does not support DRM content and some IPv6 services.
- Some data encryption features may be unavailable because of country-specific legislative restrictions.